Skip to main content

A Huron Christmas Carol



Today's postcard is not used, but it is fitting to the season. It says on the back, "Huronia Museum, Midland, Ont., The Huron Christmas Story."

"This diorama, donated by the National Museum, shows how the Jesuits adapted the story of Christ's birth to the understanding of the Huron Indians. Three Great Chiefs (The Three Wise Men) are presenting gifts of fur to the Holy Child born in a lodge of broken bark. Wandering hunters (The Shepherds) are coming to the longhouse to see the son of Gitchie-Manitou, the Great Spirit."

Midland is the place of the Sainte-Marie Among the Hurons - a restored historical site on the shores of Georgian Bay in Ontario. This cool place holds good memories for me - as a grade school kid we made a field trip to learn more about our history. As an adult, it was the first "field trip" my husband and our friends took on a May 24 long-weekend. While in college, I worked at another historic site - Doon Pioneer Village in Kitchener - so I know the "behind the scenes" feeling of being in costume and acting as though you are caught in a time-warp for the tourists. So much fun! Another great historic site I have visited is Williamsberg, Virginia.

Growing up in Ontario, I was in the school choir (we all were back then) and one of my favourite Christmas Carols was called "Huron Christmas Carol" and it really fits with this postcard.
I now cottage on Lake Huron and sometimes, in mid-July, find myself singing this song.
I am not sure if it is well-known outside of Canada, so here are the lyrics:

'Twas in the moon of wintertime when all the birds had fled
That mighty Gitchi Manitou sent angel choirs instead;
Before their light the stars grew dim
and wondering hunters heard the hymn,
Jesus your King is born,
Jesus is born,
in excelsis gloria.
Within a lodge of broken bark the tender babe was found;
A ragged robe of rabbit skin enwrapped his beauty round
But as the hunter braves drew nigh
the angel song rang loud and high
Jesus your King is born,
Jesus is born,
in excelsis gloria.
The earliest moon of wintertime
is not so round and fair
As was the ring of glory
on the helpless infant there.
The chiefs from far before him knelt
with gifts of fox and beaver pelt.
Jesus your King is born,
Jesus is born,
in excelsis gloria.
O children of the forest free,
O seed of Manitou
The holy Child of earth and heaven
is born today for you.
Come kneel before the radiant boy
who brings you beauty peace and joy.
Jesus your King is born, Jesus is born, in excelsis gloria.


The "Huron Carol" (or "'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime") is Canada's oldest Christmas song and it was written in 1643 by Father Jean de Brebeuf, a Jesuit missionary at Sainte-Marie among the Hurons. He wrote the lyrics in the language of the Huron/Wendat people and the original title was "Jesus, He is born." The melody comes from a traditional French folk song "Une Jeune Pucelle" (A Young Maid.) The English lyrics were written in 1926.

I remember as a kid seeing the bones of Father Brebeuf which are actually in the church in Midland (they are called church relics). He was tortured and killed by the Iroquios, who were warring with the Hurons. The story is that he did not cry out, even though he was being tortured. In fact, the Iroquois ate his heart in order to gain some of his courage. This reminds me of the fact that Jesus did not cry out when he was being tortured and crucified.

Father Brebeuf was canonized along with other Canadian missionaries as a group called Canadian Martyrs. He is Canada's 2nd patron saint. I know a woman who has made a walking pilgramage with her church from Guelph to Midland - it takes 8 days to walk there.

We have a gory habit of keeping body parts of our Catholic saints. Recently a new Canadian saint was canonized by the Pope. This was Brother Andre, who built St. Joesph's Oratory in Montreal - one of Canada's sacred sites. I have visited the great basilica with a giant copper dome and happened to arrive as a Mass was taking place. It built in honor of St. Joseph, first patron saint of Canada. Inside the church there is a wall of crutches, left by people who have been healed there.

When I visited St. Joseph's I met a French-speaking tour guide who was running the elevator. When I got in, she said to me, "Are you going to see Brother Andre's art?" "Yes, I guess I am," I said, getting in. (I didn't know he was an artist, but I do love to look at art.) On the second floor I searched and searched for his art. Finally, I came across a large display with a locked gate across it. I looked closely at what I could not decipher. Then I read the information board - and realized I was gazing at Brother Andre's preserved "heart". I almost fainted.
Brebeuf bones, and then Andre's heart - what were they thinking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

expo67

"Hi, again. Today we are having a waiting day. Patience you know. I told you I lost my wallet. Tried Kish Lorraine saw Laterna Magika going to Expo Theater Monday - The Supremes. Having fun. Love Betty" This postcard depicts the Great Britian Pavilion at Expo67. I was 6 years old and in Grade One. For some reason I had two tiny red placemats with the gold logo stamped on them - I think we got them in school. Of course the only image I remember is the big round dome, which was the USA pavilion at Expo67. This person lost their wallet - were they waiting for their ID to be returned? Or for money to reach them? How hard was all that to figure out in 1967 before the internet and the ATM technology we have today? Quiche Lorraine - I guess it's a French dish originally, but I made it for all my children's baptisms - because it's easy (with frozen pie crust) and you can assemble it in the morning and put it in the oven as you leave for church and when you return from th

A Netflix Castle, Averting Disaster and Spider Plants

Today’s postcard is a dusk photograph of a castle in Sinaia, a small town that is a short train ride from Bucharest. Bucharest May 10 th (1975) Dear Charlotte and Phil, This isn’t in the same class as a Doug Gore tour, but we certainly are seeing some beautiful country castles and churches. Sorry you and Phil aren’t here to go to the opera tomorrow night. It begins at 7 PM a little better than the 11 PM concert in Madrid. Eleanor and I are having a good time but I sure miss Les. Love Jo PS The plant needs very little water. Hope it isn’t raising your Hydro bill. You, dear reader, have maybe seen this castle, Peles, in some holiday movies on Netflix (A Christmas Prince and its two sequels). It is not as old as you’d expect, begun in 1873 to be a summer residence for King Carol I. The King was not easily satisfied, rejecting the first three plans he saw, and then, continually adding and renovating until he died in 1914. After King Michael I’s forced abdication in 1947, the Communist reg

Azaleas to thank you; weeds in New York City

 by MJ Malleck  Today’s postcard is more of a Thank You card, sent from Owen Sound, Ontario to General Delivery in Kincardine, Ontario. The writer dates it “Thursday” and the postmark is unclear, but stamps in Canada were 8 cents in 1972. Thursday, June 22, 1972, is my guess. Kincardine is a beach town, and cottagers would be there by the end of June, although Lake Huron might not be warm enough to swim in. “Hi. Many thanks for the help on Sunday – what a day! I stayed up on Monday and finally got the oven cleaned. Do you want me to order up your draperies yet? Love. C. “ Owen Sound is north of Kincardine, on Georgian Bay. If the writer “stayed up” somewhere, they perhaps have a cottage north of Owen Sound, perhaps in Tobermory or even further. Their friend would understand the work involved in opening and closing a summer place. Only a fellow cottager would offer to help get a place ready. Does C sew and make drapes for her friends? The illustration on the card are flower prints